Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Healthy Saturday

Happy Saturday! Today was a super active and healthy day. Breakfast was an omelet with a little feta cheese and a piece of melted cheddar cheese on a whole wheat bagel thin with a dash of nutritional yeast to top it off (a new favorite, love!) I needed a little sweetness so I added half of a grapefruit for a yummy, protein packed, balanced breakfast.

Dan and I went to the gym to pump some iron for a while, until I got bored and wanted to leave. It’s time I design a weight plan for myself (or for Dan to make one for me) because I exhausted my arms pretty quickly. We saved cardio for a walk we wanted to do later in the afternoon.

Lunch was a Willow Tree chicken sandwich (thanks Sam!) and a bowl of premade gazpacho from Trader Joes. Double yum!

We took a great walk down to the river and soaked in the views of NYC. I still can’t believe this is our backyard:

photo (1)

I also ran into AMY and COLLEEN!!! What a great surprise Smile My besties from college were in town and I’m going to see them out tonight!

A quick stop at Shop Rite later (only spent $34 for the week!) and we were ready for our Saturday night feast. This week we went with another recipe from Auntie Cheryl, but we put our own healthy twist on it.

Tonight’s dish was Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki sauce. As per our usual routine, I did the prep work and Dan cooked/grilled the meats.

Start by cutting chicken into 1 inch pieces and marinating them in 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1/2tsp of oregano, 2 tablespoons of olive oil (three times around the marinating dish), a little bit of salt and 4 cloves of garlic. Let this sit for a half hour while you prep everything else.

If you are using wooden skewers, soak them for 20 minutes to prevent from burning.

New step: chopping your veggies for the skewer. We used 1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper and a small red onion, but you can use anything you’d like, including zucchini or mushrooms.

Cut the veggies into big enough piece so they will fit on the skewer and look like this:

IMG_0317

While I still had some extra time waiting for the chicken to marinate, I made the Tzatziki sauce. I took the liberty of processing the sauce instead of just combining it as the recipe called for. It was made of 1/2 cucumber (peeled and seeded), 1 clove of garlic, 1/2 a cup of plain Greek yogurt (yay, protein!), a dash of salt and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Combine it all into the food processor and process away! Chill until ready to serve.

I skewered the veggies and chicken together until they look like this:IMG_0320

Then Dan grilled them until they were browned and delicious.

In the meantime, I cut the pita pockets in half and toasted them for a few minutes. IMG_0324

Serve it on a pretty platter and make into your own delicious creation. Mine looked like this:

IMG_0325 (not a great picture, sorry folks!)

Have a wonderful Saturday night! Tomorrow we’re going to a food truck rally in Brooklyn, a foodie’s dream, yum!

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome for the chicken salad. I am disappointed we did not get to cook together!! Your roommate dan also yelled at me a few time when you were not around. Hoping you are more empathetic to rookie cooks! :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...