Monday, August 8, 2011

Lime Chicken Tacos

This has been quite the whirlwind week.  I moved into my apartment on last Sunday and started my job on Monday, so this past weekend was the first time I really had the opportunity to enjoy the apartment-especially the kitchen.

photo

Since I have put myself on a fairly strict budget, that means I have to cut back on a lot of things I used to do without much thought. Dan and I used to go out to dinner every time we visited each other at school and frequently when we were back home, so it will definitely be an adjustment to cut back on spending on food.  (Not too difficult of an adjustment though because I love my kitchen!)

Saturday night we made a really delicious dinner.  In lieu of going out for dinner, we wanted to make something that reminded us of being at a restaurant.  My aunt gave me a recipe for Lime Chicken Tacos from Allrecipes.com and we decided Saturday would be the perfect for them. 

We had most of the ingredients on hand, the only things I needed to buy were red wine vinegar, tortillas, and more chicken. Dan figured out that this dish probably cost around $10 total, a great deal for restaurant quality food! If we had gone out to dinner we would have spent at least $30.  A $20 savings, woo!

Start off making these delicious tacos by chopping up the chicken into bite size pieces and sauteing them on low heat for about 15 minutes.  Then add in the red wine vinegar, onions, sugar, garlic and lime to the chicken and let simmer until all of the vinegar mixture is absorbed.  IMG_0275

Once the liquid has cooked off, put together any toppings you enjoy on these mouthwatering tacos.  We chose mango salsa, shredded Monterey jack cheese, avocado, shredded lettuce, tomatoes and Dan crushed up tortilla chips for some crunch. 

IMG_0280

Finally, dress the taco to your liking. Bon appetit!

IMG_0283

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...