Hi all! I hope everyone had a great weekend :)
While the weekends are always fun, this one was particularly fun! Saturday we went to the ING New York City Marathon Race Expo at the Javits Center then some friends from school came to Hoboken for a night out! It was so great to see them. Sunday was a lazy day filled with marathon and football watching and some great eats! Dan made delicious egg sandwiches for breakfast and we ordered Indian for dinner. I tested out some recipes and ended up making chili and granola. I have the recipe for the chili below and will post the granola recipe this week. They are both easy to make and good for you, too.
Chili is the perfect fall dish because it is hearty and good for you. It's a low maintenance dish to prep and let sit for as long as you’d like.
Crock Pot Turkey Chili
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 1 pound ground turkey (can use beef, chicken or more beans instead)
- 1 red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 (16 oz) can pinto beans
- 1 (16 oz) can kidney beans
- 1 (29 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Italian seasonings to your taste
- Fat-free sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Heat up a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan on medium heat. Turn crock pot on low.
- Brown the meat in the pan. Half way through browning, add the chopped red onion and red pepper to the meat.
- Add ingredients from pan into the crock pot. Add all other ingredients and mix everything together.
- Let the crock pot heat the chili on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Serve with sour cream and shredded cheese.
Let me know what you think if you make it! I can cross off “create a crock pot recipe” from my November goals now.
Today’s workout was a sweaty one! It was a 5 mile treadmill interval workout that took me about 70 minutes and torched over 500 calories.
0.0 mile-0.5 mile: Walk @ 3.5 mph
0.5 mile-2.0 mile: Run @ 5.5 mph
2.0 mile-3.0 mile: Walk @ 3.5 mph
3.0 mile-4.5 mile: Run @ 5.5 mph
4.5 mile-5.0 mile: Walk @ 3.0 mph
Have a great Monday and I’ll see you tomorrow with the granola recipe!