Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Healthy Every Week Challenge: Breakfast Edition

I’m participating in a Food Network Healthy Eat’s challenge to commit to a different healthy habit for each week in January. The first week’s challenge was to eat breakfast every day. This was a really easy week for me because I don’t think I’ve ever not eaten breakfast. I wake up in the morning starving and sometimes I’m so hungry I feel like I could throw up. Needless to say, breakfast is a necessity for me. I figured I’d take this week’s challenge to post some of my favorite breakfasts. 

I wake up with an extra half hour each morning to prep and eat my breakfast. I need that extra time to ease into the day and feed my hunger beast. I think breakfast is a great way to start the day and it can set the tone for how you eat for the rest of the day.

A smattering of my favorite breakfasts:

Go Lean cereal with Chobani yogurt and chia seeds

cereal and yogurt

Garden vegetable Egg Beaters omelet with red onions and cheddar cheese on Arnold Sandwich Thin (on a Santa plate of course)

egg sand

Quick cooking oats with toasted walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, Crasins and a spoonful of peanut butter

oatmeal

As they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You need to break the fast from not eating all night to keep your metabolism revvin’. Here’s what Web MD says about eating breakfast:

According to research, skipping meals, especially breakfast, can actually make weight control more difficult. Breakfast skippers tend to eat more food than usual at the next meal or nibble on high-calorie snacks to stave off hunger. Several studies suggest that people tend to accumulate more body fat when they eat fewer, larger meals than when they eat the same number of calories in smaller, more frequent meals.

So ladies and gents, eat those Wheaties for a slimmer waist line.

Next week’s challenge is about eating whole grains. Since I usually only eat whole grains, I am going to try a new grain or a new preparation on an old favorite. If you want to get involved in the Healthy Every Week Challenge, check out their website here: http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2011/12/18/join-us-for-a-healthy-january-challenge/ 

What is your favorite breakfast food? Are you more of a sweet or savory breakfast fan?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...