Friday, November 12, 2010

Taking the First Step Toward Healthiness


When I started my sugar elimination, I was concerned with wasting all of the sugary food I had in my cabinet. Since I started this right after Halloween, I had a huge bag of candy that I didn’t want to give up. At first thought, I reasoned I would keep the candy and only have one piece a day. But I know myself and there’s no way I could stop at just one. So reluctantly, I added all of my candy to the communal table. In our house, if you leave food out on this one table, it is fair game for everyone. Luckily, I have some hungry housemates who were more than happy to take the candy off of my hands. I then went through my pantry and refrigerator and read the labels of everything I had. If it had refined sugar or a sugar substitute, I offered it up to various friends.

I’m glad I got rid of all of the sugary food. It’s easier to not eat sugar if there is nothing in my possession that contains it. I’m proud of myself that I went cold turkey and gave away the food instead of hanging onto it “just in case.” My friends enjoyed the food and candy is already gone. While I realize cutting out sugar completely right away is not ideal for everyone, it worked well for me. Day 6 and still going strong! The weekend is always tricky, so we’ll see how much self-control I have.

2 comments:

  1. I love the communal food table. Perhaps I will leave some fruit on there just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whole Wheat No sugar Oatmeal cookies
    ½ cup butter
    ½ cup of Stevia Baking Blend (NuNutural – More Fiber)
    1 egg
    1 ¼ cup oatmeal
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    ½ tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    ½ tsp vanilla
    ½ cup raisins

    Beat butter, stevia, egg. Add oatmeal, flour, soda, cinnamon, vanilla. Stir in raisins
    On greased cookie sheet form cookies (they will not change shape.)
    Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...